My blogsphere is about my journey to accomplish a half marathon. During this journey, sometimes its not about my training and what I learned about the new running products for performance and enhancements. It's about the personal, too.
Everyone has a race to run and at the end, what will our race say about the life we lived?
I would be remiss if I didn't put on my blog about the passing away of my graduate school professor, Dr. Walter Stafford. I took Prof. Stafford's class my last semester at NYU-Wagner because I wanted to have a strong public policy base in addition to the urban planning and development classes I took during this time.
By taking Prof. Stafford's class in lieu of another urban planning core course, I was allowed to talk about planning in the context of race, class and gender and put urban planning out of its microcosm and into a broader discussion about the effects of zoning, master/city planning and other planning tools on people of color and women. How does the new public transportation line creates a connection to downtown but a disconnect since it bisects a strong vibrant community of color? How does allowing a zoning change from commercial to light industrial in a particular area affect the present and future health of the children who will live in the air footprint of the new factory?
Dr. Stafford, your knowledge will be missed in the halls of Wagner. I'm blessed to have had the opportunity to shared the same space with you. . .
http://walterstafford.blogspot.com
No comments:
Post a Comment