Sunday, June 29, 2014

Being A Kid Again. . .

I started this blog post in April 2011.  At that time, I wanted to talk about how my 2nd older brother was picking on me about how I've changed.  I bought a sewing machine. (He would have guess another IPod or an IPad.) I was cooking more at home and I guess "growing up".  Basically, I was doing the things I swore up and down as a kid I would never do. 

In April 2011, I was Daddy's baby girl.  I could call my Dad, joke with him, and ask him our favorite question. "Can I hold 5 dollars or a quarter?" One of us will laugh and say to the other, "I'm fresh out."  Today, I can't have conversations with my dad.  He passed away in March 2012.  It's been over a month (well 2 years and 3 months of this actual post becoming live. . .).  My ace is gone now and being a kid again takes on a different meaning. . .

A year ago (or 2 years ago now), "Being a Kid Again..." means being playful and carefree.  I feel like that was something I could do prior to March 2012.  Now, it has a new and more importantly an expanded definition. Being playful and carefree means not taking for granted the opportunities in life.  It means live life to the fullest and not being afraid of taking risks in love, romance, or friendships.  Telling the people you care about, "I love you." Being quick to forgive and letting stuff go that you really have no earthly control over.  Making mistakes. Learning from them and teaching/mentoring others about what you've learn.  Keep an open heart and don't give it away to someone who has earned the right to celebrate or cherish it.

I miss my Dad EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.  I miss that comfort and foundation he gave me. I miss the ability to sit down with him, tell him my "problems", and without missing a beat while he reads the paper or watches television he looks at me and says, "you know, it is going to be o.k. It will all work out."

At church this morning, the guest minister talked about how our first introduction to God is with Moses and the burning bush.  He mentions we should notice how even though the bush is burning, the fire doesn't consume it. This is God in our lives.  In the trials of the world, we might be burning, but with God it doesn't consume us. God ensures us that we are forever protected if we believe.

My imperfectly, perfect earthly Father lived his life understanding even though you might be burning (or in a difficult situation) but it doesn't have to consume you (take you under).  His answers to me always remind me of the moment after the storm.  The moment we should focus our sights because the difficult situation doesn't last for all ways.


No comments: