Sunday, October 31, 2010

What's Happened in 2 Years?


It's been 2 years since I put any words or thoughts to this blog. . . In 2 years, I did run my first marathon in Phoenix (before the whole immigration law change) and I ran my first 5-K approximately two weeks later. So, you may ask, "what have I done in these 2 years? What other races have I ran?"

Well, my running has slowed to non-existence because after the training I didn't revise my eating habits. Thereby, I gained another 25 pounds or so and now my running blog has turned into another blog: getting my chi back one extra pound ELIMINATED (not lost because I don't want to find these extra pounds again) at a time. . .

My inner "Chi" and weight loss (excuse me: weight elimination) are not mutually exclusive. The extra weight gain is an external manifestation of my past thoughts about myself and what I have allowed to determine who I am. To get to this point, where I can tell the cyberworld about my weight loss is a long journey of not believing or trusting in the strength within me. After many attempts and false starts, I'm going at it again with a different mindset and with a few notches on my belt of choosing me over someone else. What I needed to do in these past 2 years was to get rid of people who were not in my corner and make some things for me a priority. I got rid of people who were sucking the life out of me, and when they were feeling "good" or "strong", I was dropped like a bad habit. However, I can't put all the blame on other people. I was a willing participant when these people reenter my life with their sob stories about why I'm the most important person or the only person who can understand them. This would happen over and over again and it took me one May morning to hit my wall and my limit. In the words of a good friend of mine and from the movie, "The Best Man", I had to disassociate my self from this. . . behavior and folks. . . and associate myself to pick me and step into being the person God wants me to be and stop bs-ing on Rozzyology. . .

So, I'm taking a new direction in my journey. I'm going to run (compete) again when I'm under 210 lbs, but I'm jumping ahead of myself. Slow and steady will win this race and as a half-marathon runner, I must remember this is not a sprint but a marathon. (Side note-- Another big goal: I want to do my first triathlon during this journey when I'm under 200 lbs.

This week's goal: write down what I eat, the times and my mood. Also, this week's goal is to exercise at least 3 times this week.


I will have to buy a scale and when I do, I will record my starting weight and measurements. I don't tell my weight to anyone, but I'm sharing it here. I'm more comfortable in my skin and now its time for me to believe in me. . . I can do this-- one step at a time.

No comments: